<E36> 318iS M42 engine rattle / water pump

>> When warm my '93 318iS rattles loudly from (it seems) the
>> front of the engine.

John,  I replaced the timing chain tensioner 1 1/2 years ago when I did the
 profile gasket, and once again a few weeks ago, but the chain was noisy only when the
engine was cold, yours is also noisy when warm.

a simple suggestion..
I think that the AC belt prevents you from simply removing the fan belt.
I would loosen the alternator such that the belt will be really
loose, such that the belt will simply sit there and not have any significant
friction with the crankshaft pulley. Then start the car, it should be ok to idle
the engine for a short while without the alternator or waterpump turning.

you could get a bit more creative and use some old pantyhose! (used to make an emergency fan belt),
that way you just get the water pump turning by itself or perhaps just the alternator
spinning by itself, that may help you to isolate the rattle.

it would be cool to put an audio file of the rattling sound on your web page!

- -Frank Schulz '92 318is