<E36> 318iS M42 engine rattle / water pump

When warm my '93 318iS rattles loudly from (it seems) the
front of the engine. I first noticed it last summer after a
track day but my girlfriend drives the car usually and I
never heard it when I was driving. The noise frequency is
proportional to engine speed.

Recently the noise is back. I replaced the viscous coupling,
which had too much play, but it hasn't helped. The noise is
a da-ga-da-ga sort of sounds like a diesel would make. I had
a new chain tensioner when the profile gasket was done <1yr
ago. Releasing the clutch also makes no difference.

I think it's the water pump, there is a little play and the
car has 64K miles. Haynes manual says to use a pair of M6
bolts to "jack out" the pump if it's stiff, I'm a wee bit
confused by this comment. Do they come out easily or are
they very stiff?

Comments or other suggestions for the cause of the rattle
greatly welcome :-)

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!