Re: Blue Smoke

Did you say "I pulled off the road just as the engine cut out"?  Don't you
mean "just before it SEIZED UP"???
Was the motor glowing red when you pulled off?  Seriously, smoke on
acceleration means bad rings, smoke on lifting off the accelerator or upon
startup means bad valve seals.  Sounds like both here.  If you ran w/o
coolant until the engine died, it's probably time for a new one...  4 quarts
(2 litres) of oil between service actually may fall within BMW's ridiculous
specs, I think they say that 1 qt. every 600 miles (+/-1000km) is the
(insane) max spec. but, in my book, there's something wrong there,
especially if you were not burning before it cooked.  Hate to be the bearer
of bad news.  Are you still under warrantee?  Did the dealer do the hose
repair?

(sorry about the quarts and miles, that's the only way I can think right
now...)