Re: passing at school

I've got to go along with Dennis on this one.  Many times I've been pointed by
nearing or past the braking markers.  Given the cars I was driving, no way was
I going to chance it and attempt the pass.  Plenty of time on the next straight
to do it safely.

I've run many a Porsche, Ferrari, and Viper Club events and have found that the
rule of passing on the left only works extremely well.  If you're the passer,
wait till obviously signaled and then make the pass when safe to do so.  As the
passee, make the signal very obvious, get off line, back off, and let them by.
 I've seen many 944s run faster than the super, twin-turbo, race suspended,
megahorsepower cars.  With the straights being the only allowed passing zones
(except for A-group which passes anywhere with a point), can be difficult for
the lower powered car to get by.  If they're on your tail through the twisties,
just let'em by on the next straight.

Off soap box.

Ted Arneson
BMWCCA Windy City

Rob J writes

" I can recall many occasions where I have received a pass signal at the end
of a straight-away. Accordingly, I had to alter my line in order to complete
the late pass and set myself up for the upcoming turn"

The driving schools I attend, your taught that a pass signal is not a
mandatory command you have to follow. So if you receive a bad pass signal,
wrong side, or a late signal, you don't have to do it.

Dennis

- --
Ted Arneson