<e30> continued central lock problems

Well I finally got around to taking the lock cylinder out of my 325 and
replacing it with a new one (easier than I thought) but it still has not
resolved my problem. When I try to lock the door I see the spring on the
top of the cylinder slip past the actuator arm on the cylinder and it does
not push the rod down to lock the door. I can move the rod by hand but it
seems to require more effort than it should. When I try to lock the doors
from the trunk or other door it will work 75% of the time and unlock right
away the other 25%. I know that this is a sign of a bad lock motor but the
fact that I can push it down by hand makes me question that. Am I wrong?
The door has no problem unlocking.
Would it be possible to move the good central lock motor from passenger
door to the drivers door or are they different?

When I was getting the lock cylinder I picked up a Bentley manual -- very
impressive.

TIA

Dave Larocque '87 325

End of bmw-digest V9 #396