Drive for the cure

I made it to Valencia on the 24th for the "Drive for the cure" breast
cancer research fund-raiser sponsored by BMW. If it's coming to a dealer
near you, it's definitely worth checking out. I felt as if I could have
stayed all day and driven each car as much as I wanted. Much better than
a test drive situation since there was absolutely no pressure and no
pesky salesperson with you on the drive. Each drive was over a planned
course of 10.9 miles with most of that in town, and about a 3/4 mile on
a nice twisty road. Two thumbs up!

I was able to drive four models: '99 328i (E46), 318ti, 540i, and last,
but certainly not least, the M roadster. The roadster was easily the
most fun as a weekend car, money being no object. Push the right pedal:
it goes now; push the middle pedal: it stops now; turn the wheel: it
turns now. Amazing.

The 318ti was the most fun considering the price. The 540i was nice for
a geezer (I'm not there yet). The E46 is interesting, in that it's a
much more refined version of the E21/E30/E36 series of cars, but IMO has
lost the "small BMW" feel. It's not as much fun as my slightly modified
'87 325, or a current stock 318ti. Maybe the sport model improves on
this.

If BMW drops the 318ti (as I've heard they're planning) they are really
missing out (again IMO) on a big market. Hopefully, the new 2002-like
model (mentioned in Roundel) will make it to the street.

Evan
'87 325