Re: E28 Brakes

<snip from V9 #391>
The rotors on my 85 535i are warped again. You can see the warp with the
naked
eye. Front suspension is in good shape and no apparent bearing/hub
problems. I
pulled them off 6 months ago and had my buddy put a very fine cut on them
because they were warped. Big mistake, as I have no recourse for exchange
at
this point. The previous units were Balo based on a recommendation from
my BMW
tech. He told me that he has only has one set of Balo's come back on all
the
E28 cars he has done. He has used ATE powerdisc with some success. I am
curious as to any current information and experience on what E28 owners
have on
their cars. I am running 14" wheels and the car never sees the track. The
pads
are Metalmaster F/R and seem in good shape. The upgrade to 7 series
components
is intriguing but a bit expensive at this point for a relatively stock
5'er.

Derek Atkin
85 535i 162k
<end snip>*********

Giving an opinion to Derek on the E28 is like the student teaching the
master.  Derek helped me out very much when I first bought my 85' 535i.
I can only share my 'experience' and not what I think is wisdom.  I've
gone through this so here's what I've done.

My original front end problems started with the fact that I had TRX
tires.  They are hard to keep balanced.  This gave the illusion that the
front end was bad.  In true BMW E28 fashion it became bad in time!  So I
rebuilt the front end myself.  95% improvement was made and with a light
shaving of the front rotors it was back to 100%.  I shaved the rotors
only to find the rest of the problems and not for a long term fix.  Soon
I replaced the front rotors and pads.

My independent wrench is also my auto cross buddy so I knew he wouldn't
steer me wrong in the brake department.  I bought stock ATE rotors from
him and his recommendation of stock Jurod pads!  Yes, I said the *stock*
Jurods.  They may have made them better from years ago but I have auto
cross and Summit Point experience with them and they are good.  The
drawback on them is that they are 'dusty' as hell.  That's the only down
side as far as I know.

At Summit Point they never faded or went away and let me tell you I was
VERY hard on them.  It's a good thing because I was dependent on them
[turn #1--115mph straight down to a right hander @ 35mph].  All day
long...no fade.  Then the miracle happened.....no warp!  What you
say...yes.  No warp.  I'm thinking at this point the German engineers did
their job.  OK, that's one time at Summit Point.  I was lucky.

PizzaFest II had the auto cross and back to Summit Point.  I'm
thinking..the rotors will warp and the thrust arm bushings will go bad.
Other than fluid checks/changes my only change was NEW JUROD pads on the
front [crossed fingers].  I drove hard all day and the brakes never gave
out or faded.  In fact they were awesome.  The pads didn't wear down like
I thought they would.  And amazing enough, still NO ROTOR WARP.

Why?  I have no idea because I punished the brakes like I hated the car.
I know this though.
If Metalmaster's were on the car the rotor wear would have been much
different.  I know a few E28 folks with them and they go through rotors
like crazy.  Are they worth it?  I personally don't know.  Am I happy
with the ATE/Jurod combination?  It works well for me and no squeal.
Dusty, but it works.

Good luck Derek.  My next front brake work will possibly be the 7' series
brakes.  I drove Rob Levinson's car 'Helen' and it is noticable.

I of course have no affiliations with ATE, Jurod, Metalmaster, and BMW
but only because they haven't given me a sponsor check.

Curt Kiser
BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
85' 535i - Sharked and R1's shoes to go dancing in at the track
86' 325  - Wife's car