New M5 - 1.2G

In a message dated 98-10-23 22:57:11 EDT, Reed wrote:

<< Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:05:27 -0400

  If I remember a few posts from earlier this week, literature on the latest
generation M5 listed the ability to pull 1.2 Gs.

Am I missing something here?  For a street car to be able to corner at even
1.0 Gs is BIG TIME traction.  Something about 1.2 doesn't sound quite
kosher.

Thoughts?
*   *   *   *   *

I didn't read the original article about the new M5 so I don't know the
context of the 1.2G statement.  However, I would like to note that G forces
are generated in different directions depending on the movement, or lack of
movement, of the car.  (A car at rest generates 1.0G straight down, at least
on level ground.)  I'd agree, 1.2G cornering would be an eye-opener -- if
not downright implausible.  But 1.2G deceleration would be a different
matter.

Just a thought.

Louis
91 ///M5 - Original owner (with a deposit down on a new M5 -- how many days
'till September 1999?)