Re: Cleaning Engine

Merlon & Steve:
I have cleaned the engine on every car & truck that I have ever owned.
How do you think all these dealers make there car engines look so good?
The trick is just to be careful where yo spray. I don't use high
pressure hoses. I have used your every day garden hose with typical
urban water pressure. Some problems I have encountered are:
The oil pressure light would flicker on & off on my '95 740i. It really
scared me at first but after some investigation I found that some water
had  gotten into the 'oil pressure' switch electrical connector. After
clearing the water (a couple of drops) the light did not light up any
more. So now I don't spray the hose directly at the connector. I never
had any problems from our '93 325i. I would wash down the engine every
month or so. On both of these models, the coils & plug wires are hidden
away under the plastic engine shroud, protecting them from the water.
Just be careful on where you squirt, not directing the water toward any
unprotected wires as a precaution. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have
been doing this for over 25 years. I've had a miss or two, from time to
time, but it would clear up after it dried out. Running the engine
afterwards to warm it up will evapoarte most of the water. All
automotive mfg companies require the connector  manufacture to make the
connectors water tight & resistant to high temp. Don't use Purple Power
or cleaners of this type. It will discolor any painted surface. A mild
detergent will work fine. Good luck & use some simple caution. I think
you'll be O.K. Has anyone had any BAD experiences?

Richard Vaughn BMW CCA Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i
'96 Z71
'91 G20 Van