A <Line 'em up>

>Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:33:32 GMT
>From: barrettn@domain.elided (Barrett Nicholas)
>Subject: <all> wheel alignment question, DIY alignment?
>
>I'm getting ready to install a new suspension in my car, and I'd like
>to better understand what all a four wheel alignment entails - I've
>been told it should include the following (this is supposedly using
>BMW's KDS system on a e36 with the weights & everything):
>
>>Data/adjustments checked include:
>>
>>Front for each wheel:
>>Camber
>>Caster
>>Toe
>>SAI
>>Included Angle
>>Turnign Angle Difference
>>
>>Front wheels (relative angles):
>>Cross Camber
>>Cross Caster
>>Total Toe
>>Set Back
>>
>>Rear for each wheel:
>>Camber
>>Toe
>>
>>Rear wheels (relative angles):
>>Total Toe
>>Thrust Angle
>
>Camber, caster, toe, and thrust angle I understand, the rest are a
>mystery - anyone care to educate me?
>
>Also, I've heard that alignment is no great rocket science & that a
>person can do it themselves, as long as they understand what they're
>doing. I'll be installing adjustable camber\caster plates, so if it is
>possible to do a accurate DIY job, can someone tell me what I need to
>know to do it?

Hey Barrett,

Whooooooo-Hooooooo!! So THIS is how they justify charging $ 150 for a four
wheel alignment, eh?  <laughing>.  On your car they can hook up all the
fancy-schmancy computers they want but there are ONLY the following
adjustments available:

Front : Toe In/Out

Rear : Toe In/Out and Camber

Yes, you can do them yourself.  In fact, you will NEED to learn how to do
this with adjustable camber plates on the front as every time you tweak the
front camber, you have to change the toe or the car will drive all whacked
out.  There are a bunch of web sites out there on the correct procedures.
All you really need is a metal bar the width of the car and some chaulk and
string.  For the rear camber you can buy a camber setting device from OG
Racing or just set it once and forget it.

I haveta admit I do mine by 'feel'. Turn the tie rod nuts a little....go
drive it...come back and turn the adjustors some more...drive it again.
When I get it where I want it, I'm good for the season.  Not very
scientific but it works for me.  Too much toe OUT and the car will be very
nervous and darty - too much toe in and it tracks like a Lincoln Town Car
in a straight line but won't turn-in for the corners.

Duane Collie
SVR, inc.