<e34> Status Monitor glitch

Good morning!

I'm the proud new daddy of a 1991 535i 5-speed, and It's having a problem
with the check panel in the instrument cluster.  When the license plate
lamps are turned on, it is telling me that they are burned out.  I cleaned
the contacts and replaced both bulbs with Osram bulbs out of my other car,
and they still show as burned out.

Any idea what's going on here?  I'd like to be able to use the display for
the trip computer at night, and I can't with this damned message popping up
all the time!

Thanks for any info!

Scott Ferguson
rpms@domain.elided