E32 Seems to be Eating Motherboards!

Situation:
The mamaboard in my '88 735i five-speed died, so we replaced it with a a new
unit.  New motherboard lasted about a week before the trip odo started
resetting itself, then the warning chimes would activate sporadically with the
key out of the ignition, then I lost the fuel and temp gauges (oddly enough,
tach and computer still lived).  Replaced mamaboard with warranty item, and
trip odo reset itself this morning!

Questions:
What is the failure rate of new boards?
Do the nicads need a few days to charge?
Any ideas why my 7 suddenly seems to hunger for mamaboards?

Any and all help is appreciated greatly!

Mike LaBarre
Blue Ridge Chapter
E32, E30, 114