Re: airbag question

Jim muses:

> if, just hypothetically, mind you, i wanted to disconnect the airbags in
> my MZ3, i could simply disconnect them (after letting them discharge, of
> course), and then i'd have the SRS light in the instrument panel staring at
> me
> all the time. if some lint of some sort were to get into the airbag
> connector
> on re-assembly, what kind of resistance would this bit of lint have to have,
> hypothetically speaking, of course, to make the computer think the bag was
> still there?
>
> if such a piece of lint is impossible, does the SRS computer get peeved if
> the SRS warning light bulb were to burn out or fail for some reason,
> hypothetically
> speaking?

First, the facts.  It is _not_ against the law for you to disconnect
your own air bags.  I suppose it is against the law to not tell your
insurance company though so they can remove your discount for having an
air bag.

I don't know how to keep the SRS light from coming on though.

<opinion>Now, my opinion.  The air bag can save your life.
Disconnecting it is not a smart thing to do.  Go to
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags and do some reading, watch some of the
movies, and make this an informed decision.</opinion>
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL