re: E30 traction

- --Alix says...
[snip]
>- --The size of the tire is very important as well.  Wider is better, as it
>  provides more area for the tire to grip the road.
[snip]

- --Scott says...
<clip>
> Narrower tires are better in rain and snow.  The tread is more able to
> bite
> down through the surface water/ice to the underlying pavement, and
> traction is improved.  Wider tires in the wet tend to hydroplane more.

> On dry surfaces, wider is better for cornering, but not when it is wet.
<clip>

Thanks Scott... The funny thing is I spent about an hour on the tire rack
site to make sure that I wasn't sending something wrong ot the digest, and
somewhere (I'm not making this up!) they said that the more surface area,
the better traction, even in water.  I had a feeling that was wrong.
Perhaps I just read wrong.  Sorry all!

I have (yet another) question for everyone.  Is putting only two snow
tires on my car a bad idea?  Versus none at all?  Or would I be running
more of a risk than with none?

Thanks!

Alix
'86 325e