My husband and I just returned from a police auction where we purchased an
87 BMW 325 in good condition with 184,000 miles on it for $2,500.
Unfortunately in these situations you are not allowed to test drive cars
and you know nothing about it's history.  We have never owned a BMW before
and have lots of questions.  I was hoping maybe someone on this list could
point me in the right direction for a few answers.

First, the car is missing it's shift lever knob - will this be a hard item
to replace?  Should I just go directly to a dealer or perhaps there is a
better source?

Second, we drove the car home at freeway speeds for over an hour and it
drives wonderfully, but we noticed that at slower speeds it seems a bit
sluggish in the first couple of gears, and we also notice a high pitched
whine at rpms over 2,500.  Is this usual or does it suggest a possible
problem?

 How can I find an owners operating manual for this car?

And my last question is regarding the radio.  It appears to be factory but
has an antitheft device on it for which we have no code.  Is there a way to
disengage this or will we have to replace the entire radio?

Thank you for your patience and your assistance.

Debi O
I am still learning. ~ Michelangelo
http://www.pacificnet.net/~debionken