<E28> Follow up on Purchase Advice

First off, thanks to all who responded to my request for advice on the
purchase of the 1983 528e.  I had a chance to drive it last night, and while
it was cosmetically in pretty good shape, the steering shook (occasionally
the entire car) on braking.  But it wasn't every time.  There was also a
whine from the power steering, not just when it was stopped either.  The A/C
didn't work.

Other than that, I couldn't find any rust, it looked like an average
condition car of that vintage (some cracks in the dash, a couple of door
dings, etc.).  The guy said he would come down to $2000 (from $2500).  My
question, is it worth it?  I don't want to have to drop a grand into it
right off chasing suspension gremlins, and who knows about the power
steering whine (actually more of a groan).

The car drove good, but was not a power house, though I was warned by
several of you that it would not be.  I'm just wondering if maybe I should
hold off and buy one down in the bay area (maybe it will have lived an
easier life?) next summer while I'm down there visiting relatives.  Oh, this
car has 193,000 miles.

Thanks, Darrel