Re: RE: Brake Fade

Alan writes of braking problems and Duane responds:

>>  I'm guessing its not your brake fluid - but your pads that are at fault.
>>  I'm running Super Blue as are several hundred others on this list and I've
>>  never boiled the fluid and "I don't brake until I see God" (dat's a
>>  'Stommelism').  More likely you are exceeding the capability of the street
>>  pads.

Then Alan gives us another clue:

> I'd have no trouble agreeing with you completely except for 2 things:
>
>         1.  My pedal feel will comeback (for a couple of laps) if I bleed
> the system between runs.
>
>         2.  Unless I bleed between runs, it takes a couple of days, then the
> pedal feel will come back on its own.
>
> I can't reconcile this behaviour with anything other than boiled fluid.  If
> its something else, I'd LOVE to know what it is (this is all driving me
> nuts).

_Now_ this sounds like it might be a problem in the master cylinder.  It
sounds like the venting isn't working quite right.  If you just open the
master cylinder and reseal it do the brakes come back?  How about if you
pump the brakes while it's open?  There could be some dirt or grit in a
valve somewhere not letting the pedal come all the way back up.  The
only time you get into the brakes hard and often is at the track.
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL