<E30> Overheating

With all this talk of how to tell if you done damage by over-reving.
I've been wondering if there's a way to tell any damage that has been
done by overheating.

A couple weeks ago I was driving along and looked down at my Temp gauge
and it was all the way in the red.  I stopped as soon as I could and
took a peek to see what was going on because I would hate to kill one of
my squirrels due to heat exhaustion.  Somehow the fan belt had slipped
completely off so the primary cooling fan and water pump were not
spinning.  Odd, I guess the belt must have loosened up or something.
Anyway I got the belt back on, tightened things back up and I haven't
noticed any difference in driving.

Where I worry is I've heard that while the eta's are almost
indestructable, the head can crack if overheated.  I haven't checked the
oil or coolant yet for a oil/coolant mix, and I'm not sure if it's been
"eating" more coolant than it normally does.  Is there anything else I
can check to see if I've done damage?  Or should I just not worry about
it.

Thanks much.
- --David Boyd, boydd@domain.elided
'84 325e 200k
They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee, ho ho.