Re: The DINAN Badge

Yup, good old Steve makes you get 10 points before he GIVES you a badge.
Each component (or set of components) earns you a certain number of points.
Example- a Dinan Chip is worth 2 points, a Dinan suspension is worth 4 (I
think), Dinan wheels are worth 5, a Supercharger or Stroker Kit is a full
10.
Last time I checked, you had to spend about $3.5k to get at least 10 points
on an E36.  However, once you get all your points, Dinan will just give you
a badge (you need to take your car to them or there dealer, as they have
templates for installing it properly, unlike BMW, ever notice how badly
placed many of BMW's model badges are???).  I got rear ended and the body
shop misplaced the badge, so I went to Dinan for a new one.  Since everyone
there knows me, I didn't need to show receipts or have them inspect the car
for there stuff, but it was still $120 for the parts and labor to install
it.
The cool thing about this setup is that if you see a Dinan badge on a car,
90% of the time, it really has a bunch of Dinan stuff on it.  Unlike ACS or
Racing Dynamics who simply sell there badges for a price (I think a RD badge
is like $100), Dinan badges rarely make it onto other cars.  If you see a
Dinan badge for sale, I would value them at about $300, since otherwise you
need to spend $3000.  And the thing that really pissed me off is that my
body shop friends were playing a trick on me and they gave me back my old
badge so now I have 2.  <grin>

Greg Koenig
'94 Dinan 3 with 18 Dinan Points

P.S.
The people from Dinan who read this list, I am holding one of your badges
hostage and will only surrender it for a Supercharger, you have 48 hours to
FedEx it to me, or else I might sell it! Imagine, the pain of seeing one of
your precious pieces of injection molded plastic on, gasp <dramatic
pause>... a HONDA!

End of bmw-digest V9 #365