Flashing high beams

I may have been doing it wrong all these years but here is how I signal for
cops ahead to other motorists.

1. I turn my lights on and off a few times.
2.  If my lights are already on (which is how I drive all the time anyway) I
turn them off a couple of times.
3.  The high beams are saved for telling someone to get in the right lane so I
can pass or as a greeting to on-coming BMW's

Is this a regional thing?  I grew up in KY and this is how I have done it all
my life. (Well except for the BMW thing...only had mine for a few weeks.  ;-)
lol )

Walter
85 535i