Re: Dinan Badging -Reply <probably wob>

Without re-posting Russ's comments, let me just clarify that:

1.  I'm not opposed to Dinan, or anyone else, having some standard by
which they determine whether or not your car qualifies for a badge.  As
Russ said, you want your name to be associated with some level of
performance that you can't get from a stock 524td (like the one I saw last
week with the //M badge, for example).

2.  I think I would have preferred it if Dinan just kept the process secret.
It was just that whole "points" thing that kinda got me going.  When I hear
that "points" are required to get a badge, I kind of think back to the days
of trading stamps (my grandparents saved green ones and I think blue
ones, which they got from certain vendors, which they then redeemed
for merchandise).  This, to me, anyway, was somehow the wrong image
for a company like Dinan, who runs a first class operation (except for
that tire mounting, wheel damage waiver thing, but that's another matter).

3.  I did not mean to give anyone the impression that I felt that having a
Dinan (or any other) badge made them a snob.  Sorry, Russ, if you
interpreted my comment that way.  If I was worried about anyone getting
labled a "snob", I wouldn't have bought a BMW.

Anyway, I bet that with careful review of the Dinan catalog and price list,
we could come up with:

1.  The least $$$'s needed to get a Dinan badge.
2.  The average $$$'s per Dinan Badge Point.

Then, we could compare such figures against the going black market
price for a Dinan badge.  Such careful cost analyses should always be
undertaken when performing, or pretending to perform, any car
modification.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid with no current Dinan parts
(I guess points from parts on cars I've sold don't count towards my
currrent car?)