Re: bmw-digest V9 #363

It's all relative. If you go in to the dealer saying "All I want is to get
a good price on my 87" they will give it to you. But don't expect a big
discount after that, every dealer or salesman has a certain amount of
profit margin to work in you can't expect a fantastic trade in amount + get
the car at a little over cost.
On the 323is's trying to get a high trade in might not be a bad approach,
because dealers might not be giving much off the top anyway. I looked at
trading in my 87 325 and I was told I would be given $5000 CDN (what I
paid) for it before they even looked at it.  I was told at another dealer
they would be able to give me $2500 - $3000 max and that I was better off
selling it privately.
The car you currently own is in demand and I don't think you would have
much trouble selling it privately.  Given the condition of the car try to
find a BMW enthusiast that will appreciate it, try advertising in the
Roundel or the digest. If you still feel that what you could sell or trade
it for is to low consider it as a winter car.

In Canada I have found 6 cyl e30's anywhere from $2500 up to $7000 YMMV.

Dave Larocque