Re: E36 Limited Slip (WTB

Chris:

If you have a problem getting up your driveway in the winter due to
ice and snow, I doubt that a limited slip diff will help very much.
Most LSDs offer about 25% or so lock up, which means they can control
slipping in marginal situations (like when you hit the gas going
around a corner on a wet road), but if one wheel is on ice while the
other is on dry pavement you'll still have lots of wheel spinning.  I
have LSD on my 528e, and believe me it often gets stuck in my driveway
on snowy days, while my wife's Audi Quattro and previously her Volvo
wagon would make it up easy.

That having been said, I think adding an LSD is probably a good idea
even if it doesn't solve your driveway problem.  You'll probably find
that most LSDs can be had from parts dealers like
www.zionsvilleautosport.com for around $600, and around $300 or so
from individuals parting out cars.  Good luck.

- -Chip Baines
'86 528e (with LSD)
'97 328iC
BMW CCA