Re: Over-rev and JC problems??

Mike wrote:
>About over-reving.  My 95 325is has been over-revved 3 or 4 times
>and it still runs fine.(snip) Actually, girls were driving most of the
>time!!!!
>Likewise, it is near impossible to bend the valves because there is a
>timing chain and NOT a timing belt on E36 M3 engines.  Unless you
>completely screw up like a 5th to 1st going 90 or something insane,
>you're probably not going to mess anything up!!

Mike, usually most damaged valves result from missed upshifts, 4th to
5th but accidentally catch 3rd, woops, bang, bent valve.  We're
talking driver school speeds here, probably above 100mph.  Scott
Adare's advice is very good on how to shift properly.  And yes, 95
M3's are famous for doing this but you'll need Obi Wan and some Jedi
mind tricks to convince BMW that they need to pay for this.

>I am starting to have second doubts about my JC chip in my 95
>325is.  It has been doing some funny stuff.

Why is it everyone is so quick to blame their JC chip for just about
any problem?  Yes he is a target because he reads this Digest, but no
it doesn't mean you should blame the chip for problems on a nearly 4
year old car.  I suggest you put the stock chip back in, change the
oil and see what happens, then get it checked out.

Carlos
Seattle
95 M3
PS  To the guy who over-revved his motor:  You'll want the updated
valve retainers in your motor, if a dlrshp is fixing it, that's what
they'll put in most likely.  You'll also want to put in different
transmission mounts from a Bavaria to reduce the chance of this
happening again.  Check out B. Stommel's procedure on Suzy's web page
www.bmwmpower.com, click on <tranny mounts>