<WOB> Cheap cars

In light of the the theft of my recently purchased 325is <insert pity here> and
it's continued absence, it's time to find a car to purchase with what little
money I have left.  I can afford about $2k (okay, MAYBE $3k), and don't seem to
be left with a lot of attractive options.  I expect to do some maintenance on
my own, but, as a college student, would like to keep costs and time required
to a minimum.
  My thoughts thus far are mid- to late 80s Jetta GLIs and GTIs.  Any other
suggestions?

John P.