Re: E28 Brake upgrade

At 01:18 AM 10/19/98 -0400, Nathan wrote:
>I thought i had heard something about a brake upgrade for 533/535's using
>parts from a 750 or something?  Any ideas?  I really like those big brake
kits
>from bmp and others, but $2400 is a little salty in my eyes, geez, i payed
>less for the car.  Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this...what all is
>needed, biasing changes, ect..please let me know.

Nathan,

Either query the Digest for anyone selling some M5 brakes (only the front's
on E28's, you have the same rears, or the whole shebang from an early E34),
or get yourself some E32 rotors and calipers (7 series).

It will probably be cheaper if you go the E32 route.  Rotors for an E34 M5
will run you about $500 for a set.  The E28 M5 rotors aren't much cheaper.
The E32 rotors are priced like a normal BMW (just a little expensive, but
nothing that will make you scream).  Jason Lile can probably get you set up
for a good price.  Rebuild the calipers (if you buy used).  It'll probably
take an afternoon to install the new rotors, calipers and pads (use
whatever kind you like.  Stock are good but dusty, and there are other less
dusty pads that stock as well).

If you go the E34 M5 route, you'll need to go to 16" wheels.  The E32 and
E28 M5 route will let you run 15" wheels (or your 390 TRX if that's what
you have).

Have fun and don't use DOT 5 brake fluid.  Use DOT 4 (is that good BB? :^))

Hope this helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5 (E34 M5 brakes)
'72 tii (320i vented "big" brakes)