Helmets/Driver Schools

I further raise the question what safety equipment do you have in your car?
5pt harness, rollbar/cage,
fire extinguisher, arm restraints, racing seat, seat brace, what?

Man, you buy the safest helmet you can afford especially since most people
in driver
schools have no other aftermarket safety equipment in their car other than
a helmet.

There is not a single person on this digest that can put your head back
together once you crack your
skull.  The safety ratings for all helmets are easy to see and understand.
Call Bell or Simpson and ask them
to explain the ratings.

Driver schools...I'm convinced these are the most likely places for
injuries to occur.  I'm NOT
saying they are unsafe!  I'm saying they are where injuries are most likely
to occur because almost
no cars are outfitted with the proper safety equipment for the speeds.  I
firmly believe tech inspections
have to be more thorough, and speed limitations should be set on all
groups; even A group (whatever
you want to call the advanced group).  If you want the thrill of racing go
to a racing event with the
proper safety equipment.  I nearly T boned a friend who lost control at
close to 100mph,
and he had nothing in his car other than a helmet.  God was kind to both of
us that day.

The 996 at the Road Atlanta BMW driver school in Sept. is a perfect
example; easily the fastest car there,
instructor said the car was overheating the whole time, driver had no
safety gear other than a helmet,
and the driver routinely passed without a point by.

Enough of a rant, I've seen at least 5 posts concerning helmet advice  and
it all comes back to
what level of safety (beyond base SA90) and comfort you want.  Remember
comfort is a safety issue if you tire to the point
your no longer driving properly-pit or end your session.  Hydrate yourself
as well.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30