<E28> New car, [old] questions

Hi, Brian!

Well, the issues (and questions) are new to you but luckily,
old to the E28's.  Quickie answers inserted between your
questions, and echoed to the Digest, cuz I haven't seen several
of these lately.

Larry F.

>Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:10:56 0000
>From: "Brian Franchuk" <Brian.Franchuk@domain.elided>
>Subject: New car, new questions
>
>Hi all,
>
>I just bought an '88 535i and have a few questions:
>
>1) There's some play in the steer wheel, about 1/2 inch.  Are there
>   any adjustments on the power steering unit?  The car has a speed
>   sensitive power assist.

Several possibilities:  first (and worst) to look for is a bad center
drag link - have the car up on jacks (safe, secure, all that) and have
someone else rock the steering wheel.  Look for the Pitman arm moving
a bit back and forth without the drag link (aka 'track rod') moving in
turn.  You _can_ adjust the play in the steering box.  Again with the
front wheels up, unlock the slotted shaft by loosening the 17mm nut,
and run the shaft in (probably only a half turn or so) until the
resistance to turning goes up.  Back off 1/8th turn or so and relock.
Turn the wheel lock to lock to make sure the resistance didn't go up
too much.  Repeat, backing off until the increase in lock-to-lock
is lost.  There is also a clamp nut under the dash, for the steering
wheel height adjustment, that if very loose can produce slop.  Check
that.  Last, could be idler arm (wail it up and down with your hand -
you should not feel any play).

>2) The vents on the dash blow cold all the time, regardless of the
>   setting of the temp. control.  Is this normal?  The owners manual
>   says that the dash vents bring fresh air into the car.  Fresh air
>   is good, but this is Minnesota!

A classic.  There is a servo motor accessible if you remove the
glovebox, which can either have it's mounting screws back out, have the
actuator break off, or the slide potentiometer behind the slider on
the heater controls can be bad.  Do you have a Bentley yet?  Get one
from Steve D'G ASAP if not.  Good instructions there for this.

>3) At highway speeds, the other air vents (floor and defrost) will
>   suddenly go cold.  Once I slow down to around, the heat comes
>   back.  I originally thought the engine's thermostat was stuck
>   open, but the temp guage doesn't change as I slow down.

Yet _another_ classic!  You need to replace the core of your
heater control valve.  $25ish from the same guy.  Easy job, the
Bentley will give gory details.

>4) What can I expect for MPG for this car.  I'm getting about 22 on
>   the road now.  This seems low, but then again I'm used to my 325,
>   which, unfortunately for me, is for sale.

Normal.  You may get a response from another Digester who compiled a
ton of replies.  I get 19 mpg around town (but I like corners  ';~)
and 24-26 freeway only.  By the bye, my OBC and simple arithmetic
agree to +/- 1 mpg almost all of the time.

>Other than that, the car's great.  I can't wait to make some mods
>this winter.  What do you recommend?  I was thinking of a K&N (maybe
>cone) filter and a JimC Chip.

JimC chip is the best single performance mod - whatta guy!  Best next
is a short shift kit (I'll bet yours is sloppy).  Next would be sway
bars, presuming you have ditched the TRX's and have real wheels and tires.
Don't bother with the cone.  Megabytes written on the topic, even a few
facts.

Just my experiences; Larry F.

>You can see the cars on my webpage: www.mm.com/~franchuk/about/about.htm
>
>Brian Franchuk