Stories of the Highway Patrol

Since we're telling cop & ticket stories, here's my most memorable one.
It's a Friday, late-morning on I-78 eastbound in New Jersey back in the
late 80's.  I'm driving my store truck (back when i used to do that) and
running way behind in my schedule. This is NOT a little truck, mind you,
with a radar profile only slightly less than a F-16.

I'm late.  Prior two stops held me up and I'd started at 5 a.m.  If I can't
make Rhode Island by 4 p.m. when my one of my suppliers closes it will
screw up my entire trip and I'll have to re-schedule over a dozen stops
with my retail customers over the weekend.  If I boogie...I can make it.
Speed limit 55 mph.  I do the math and decide to wind 'er up to 75 and hold
it (it IS a truck after all - not a BMW). Fly low - Stay sharp.

6 mile long construction zone on the Interstate (posted 35 mph) w/ no
workers in it (surprise, surprise!). Nuthin' but a bunch of orange cones on
the shoulder and no traffic - just me.  I hold it at 75. So I'm 40 mph over
the technical speed limit......in New Jersey (eeek!).

Crusier pops over the hill on the other side - only him and me on the
highway. BANG. Gotcha! I watch my mirror in admiration as the Crown Vic
flips the lights on and does this wonderful, dirt-throwin' powerslide
across the median to come fetch me up.  Beauuuuuuutiful move. I go ahead
and throw on the flashers and pull over / roll down the window - no sense
making him chase me down.

Trooper comes up (dontcha just love those NJ uniforms with the SS hat and
the boots?) and says,  "You know why I pulled you over, right?".  I say,
"Oh yeah, I'm was speeding. You got me dead to rights. I'm really trying to
get Rhode Island before a 4 p.m. deadline."

He says: "How fast were you going?"  Me: "Pretty fast...something over 70."
Officer: "I got you on radar at 76 mph." I nod yes, resigned to my fate.
"Do you know the speed limit in this construction zone?" "Yep" sez I, "35
mph, officer, I'm aware of what I was doing and will take responsibility
for it, and I apologize".

Cops then says: "You know that I have two options seeing that you are
running at these speeds in a Commercial Vehicle.  You know that if I write
you up, I automatically have to take you in because at 40 mph over in a
truck this size you get to see the judge on Monday morning. That means you
get to spend the weekend in our jail as we won't allow you to bond out.
Your truck gets impounded and you'll probably loose your job (he didn't
know it was my biz - but hey - I sensed an out, here!) and your CDL. This
ticket will cost you close to $ 1,000.00 when you see the judge, too."

"Or" he continues with a long pause, "You and I can come to an agreement
about how you are going to operate your truck anytime you are in MY state
on MY highways."

I told him I would REALLY APPRECIATE the second option.

Trooper continues, "You promise me you'll NEVER do more than a couple of
miles per hour over the posted limit in New Jersey in a truck from now on
and you can get on your way. Do we have an agreement?"

Oh yeah. Deal. Bigtime.

He finishes with "Hope you make your last stop - go ahead and go so you
don't have to spend any more time on the side of the road and keep it in
the limits - drive safe so you get there".

!!!WHEW!!!

And ya know what? I never again did more than 5 to 8 mph over the limit in
a Commercial Truck in the subsequent years I ran the truck in New Jersey.
Deal's a deal and all.

Connecticut and New York though - all bets are off <g>.

Duane Collie
RM3DR1/UUC/Bubba