re: speeding, V-1's, and view from under the lights

First off, if you speed and don't have a V-1 then you are taking a serious
risk.  Two days ago I was Northbound I-95 through Martin Co. Florida (Martin
County sheriffs patrol I-95 for revenue enhancement) construction zone
approaching, (speeding fines doubled) V-1 begins its light and sound show (1
bogey) and 2 other vehicles both of which were running with detectors also
slowed with me.  Kick down to 55 and pass the deputy entering the zone, now
the V-1 shows 2 bogeys with front and rear arrows, I stick to 55 throughout
the 2 miles of construction.  The other 2 vehicles, obviously thinking they
are out of the woods,  speed back up to 70+mph and low and behold one of
them gets pulled over exiting the construction zone.  Bottom line: IF YOU
DON'T HAVE A V-1 YOU ARE DRIVING NAKED! NO CRUMMY SUBSTITUTES!!!!

Also, I have to agree with John, while I will never ADMIT to speeding when
an officer asks if I know why he pulled me over, I will admit that I MAY
have been speeding.  The officer then either gives me a warning or writes a
reduced speed on the ticket.  I do have to admit to being a smart ass a
couple of times when an officer asked me what that black box was, "You know
what the hell it is, why do you have to ask?" NO BREAK FOR ME!!  "DAMN THAT
INSTANT-ON SHIT" (grumble-grumble)

Luckily, in Florida if you know how to play the system you can pay a reduced
fine and get NO POINTS on your license.  I have received ~9 citations from
about 23 traffic stops in 16 years of driving, only one resulted in points
assessed because it was so far from home, in a rural county, I figured I
would get convicted anyway in their Kangaroo court.  I plead not guilty to
every other ticket, went to traffic school twice and got the other tickets
either dismissed or adjudication withheld.  I believe that I get breaks
sometimes because I donate money to the Sheriff's Association and the FHP
and PBA and proudly display the small stickers they give you on my vehicles.
I would also have to note that out of 23 stops half of them were in my
Bright Red E36 M3 which I only owned for 9 months out of 16 years.  Talk
about a cop magnet!!!!  Since replacing it for a Boston Green M3 and a Black
M Roadster I have yet to get pulled over in the last 2 years.  My driving
habits have not changed in the last 7 years or so since I became more wise
and diligent as to when and where to speed, so I am convinced red cars are
asking for it.

Michael Greto
BMW CCA-Everglades Chapter
'98 ///M Roadster
'98 Nissan Frontier (daily driver pick 'em up truck)
Many former Bimmers