re: Honda/Acura = VW/Audi - NOT

>Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:15:41 +0000
>From: "jeuculano" <jeuculano@domain.elided>
>Subject: Honda/Acura
>
>===================================
>> BTW,  Why does Honda use the name Acura to sell "luxury" cars in the
U.S.?
>> Pretending to be another company?  such pride.....
>
>====================================
>
>Yep.  And Ford-Mercury-Lincoln, Plymouth-Dodge-Chrysler,
>Chevy-Buick-Olds-Saturn-Cadillac-Pontiac, VW-Audi.  Guess it is just
the Japanese
>companies "pretending" to be something they're not.

I must take exception to some of this.  The only marque listed in this
reply that I know falls into this category is Mercury.  Lincoln and Audi
I know had distinguished histories before their acquisitions by larger
competitors.  Does Ferrari fit because Fiat owns them?  Does Rolls-Royce
now that BMW owns them (obligatory BMW content)?  The only companies
that fit this comparison are those created (not acquired) by someone to
sell similar cars at a higher price (i.e. Infiniti, Lexus, Acura,
Mercury).

Bob Swanson
email: rswanson@domain.elided