Re: Top Speed Discrimination

Ron Browne sez
>Anyone have any info on how BMW decides on what the Top Speed will be when
>programming their Top Speed Governors?

Based on what I've heard from a friend, it has to do with how the cars are
rated by governmental standards.  Every production vehicle is evaluated on
various features - ie, safety features, durability, cost, and, of course,
performance.  These data, when entered into the governing body's algorithm,
determine if the car is subject to any special fees or taxes.  BMW (and
other manufacturers), in an effort to help the consumers avoid these fees,
set the top speeds of their cars at the highest allowable speed for
whatever governmental yardstick they are using.  Apparently, BMW uses a
German standard (appropriately enough...) hence the odd mph numbers due to
conversion from kph.  As far as the apparent randomness of these limits, I
can only guess that they each meet the current legislation - it could
possibly change from year to year or for different "classes" of cars
(5-series might be considered "luxury" versus "high performance" for the M
cars).

Please understand that these are merely what I think could govern the
setting of the governors- they may (and most likely) have no real basis in
fact.  Although, in my opinion, this explanation seems to make pretty good
sense.

Many happy miles,

Matt McCabe
1995 325i