E28 Life span

Rob is RIGHT....A E28 3.5 will last a very long time with the right
maintenance...Mine had 238k on it when the head gasket gave up the ghoast..Let
me say HARD MILES!!! I used the car as an autocross car and to go to driver
schools, it never saw below 5,000 rpm at the schools. and during the Auto X's
would frequently bump the rev limiter in second 6,600rpm.
  When I pulled the head to have it gone through all it needed was new rocker
arm shafts (old ones had to be beat out due to a warped head, head was
straightened)  the rocker arms and valve guides looked like brand new....
  The cylinder bores had ABSOLUTELY NO WEAR!!! and still had the factory hone
marks with no ridges on the tops of the cylinders.
  Now its turbocharged running 8psi of boost and still gets a hard life...with
lots of TLC maintance..The cost of BIG repairs is directly related to how much
a replacement car would be the head rebuilt cost a total of $400. in parts.
Even if you don't work on it yourself it would only cost $1,500-2,000, which
is much cheaper than say a new car...

E28 live forever.............

GGray
87 535is turbo