Re: <E30 iX> suspension upgrades [Long]

Jack,
Apologies for this late response.

>wondering if suspension parts from an E30 M3 will fit an iX

Only the rear, not the front.
The front suspension of an iX is unique.
Unique = limited + expensive.
The rear suspension is normal E30 325 (except for the rear brakes).

I have not found much in iX suspension upgrades, but here what I have
determined to date:

Swaybars:
stock E30 sway bar diameters are:
M3:         19mm front; 14.5mm rear
325iS:     20mm front; 12mm rear
325iX:     17mm front; 14.5 mm rear

At the extreme, it is my understanding that the iX has a tendency to plow
straight thru a corner.
Many have fixed this tendency by placing a larger rear bar on and regrading
the front bar rubber bushing.

Many are using a Suspension Techniques 19 mm rear sway bar
The rear bar is the same shape as a std E30 325.
It is highly recommended to enforce/weld the rear swaybar mounting points
on the rear suspension arms.

The front bar is unique to only the iX.
I am not aware of anyone selling an upgraded iX front swaybar.

Korman sells front and rear adjustable anti-sway bars (22mm, 19mm)
The iX receives a modified stock front sway bar, 19mm rear bar,
polyurethane sway bar bushings and bushing lubricant.
Note that Korman modifies a std iX front bar

>shocks
Minimal choices there: Koni, Bilstein, Boge Turbo Gas.

Koni iX Front strut 8641-1144 Sport; monotube low pressure gas shock
Koni iX Rear shock 80-2522 Sport, twin tube hydraulic shock.
DO NOT use rear shock 26-1196 Sport, the rebound is way TOO severe (been
there/done that).

Bilstein Front strut P36-0251, Rear shock B36-2028

>shocks/springs

Dinan sells shocks / springs. (www.dinanbmw.com)

Korman Roadsport Suspension Systems (http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/)
Our best selling suspension package is comfortable enough for daily use,
yet provides substantially improved handling for winding roads and weekend
club events. Kit includes:
     4 progressive rate springs which lower the car 1.3" front and rear
     front and rear adjustable anti-sway bars (22mm/19mm)
     (iX receives a modified stock front sway bar, 19mm rear bar)
     polyurethane sway bar bushings and bushing lubricant
     Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks, front and rear
     P/N: 3110325XH
Korman also sells an iX Track suspension system

Racing Dynamics: http://www.racdyn.com/
The Racing Dynamics Chassis Kit includes a calibrated and
matched set of precision wound progressive rate springs and
Bilstein high pressure gas shock absorber specifically valved for Racing
Dynamics.
196 04 30 116 Chassis Kit E30 325ix

Korman is the only one that sells stainless steel brake lines.

Rotors: Choices are: stock, cross drilled, gas slotted.
The iX has stock 325 rotors in the front and unique ones in the rear.

Regards,
Alan Alfano
alan.alfano@domain.elided

BMW CCA #30492
iX Registry # 214

1988 BMW 325iX
1956 Austin-Healey 100M (2)

<<
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:22:36 -0400
From: "Jack_Iname" <jack.money@domain.elided>
Subject: <E30 iX>  suspension upgrades

hello everyone,
first, i would like to thank everyone who has answered my posts so far.
The information abounds on this list.  now, just wondering if suspension
parts from an E30 M3 will fit an iX.  specifically, the anti-sway bars.
are these larger diam than the stock iX?  what other parts may help to
stiffen up and maybe lower the car a bit?  likely i will have to replace
 the shocks/struts/springs this spring also and i will likely go with
 h&r's and bilsteins.  i plan on doing some driving schools this spring
 and i want to know what pads would be good for the track.
 i have read a lot of posts about performance friction pads
and also hawkes, how about some more opinions.
are there better pads for the street or are the stock pads just as good as
any?
 i really appreciate the help!  i'm still learning so please excuse any
ignorant type questions.
TIA.
regards,
jack money