Suggestion re: (Age) Discrimination

I couldn't help but notice that this has become a popular topic.  There
certainly does seem to be quite a few of you who have had problems
getting dealership salespersons to take you seriously.

You know what?  Despite your experiences, there are LOTS of dealers
out there that would be happy to sell you a car.  True, it is an
inconvenience to go find them.  But ask yourself this:  Do you really want
to give a salesperson a commission, or a business owner a profit, if they
would rather give you a hard time than let you test drive a car?  I don't.

Personal experience:  I've tried twice to buy a used car from a certain
S.F. Bay Area dealership that shall remain nameless (OK, twist my arm, it
was Weatherford).  Once I walked in, once I called to get color and
mileage information.  The time I walked in, they made an excuse that they
had already put the used cars away for the night (it wasn't that late).
They didn't even offer to take my name and number.  The time I phoned
for info, they never called back.

I don't think that either of these instances involved any form of
discrimination, age or otherwise.  But you know what?  It doesn't matter.
The dealership showed no apparent interest in showing me or selling me
a car.  You know what else?  I'll never shop there again.  Not for cars or
parts or accessories or anything else.  Why?  Because I don't want to
waste my time, and they demonstrated that they don't want my money.
I'll go elsewhere.

My suggestion:  You should do the same.  Find another dealer.

Caveat:  I know that many of you live in areas where the next dealer is
WAY FAR AWAY, so this may not work for you.  Some of the other
suggestions may work for you (talk to the sales manager, tell them up
front you're capable of paying for the car, etc.).  But I just have this moral
aversion to giving my money to someone that doesn't want to earn it.

OK, sorry for this possible <wob>, but I thought it was a good
suggestion.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid that I bought from a private party