Re: <E30> speedo and cruise woes

Jeff writes:

> I'm having a little trouble with the speedometer on my 1991 iX.  It
> seems to bounce around a lot with no set pattern.  At first I thought
> that the speedo gears may be going, but I now feel it is electronical.
>
> When the cruise is on, the car accelerates in unison with the speedo
> bouncing . . . any ideas?  With the cruise off, the speedo still
> bounces, but the cars speed is not effected.
>
> Anybody have some insight on this?

> Jeff Graves

Jeff - you are having the same fault that is reviewed about every 10-15
digests.

It is not your cruise - that just follows the input from the
speedometer.

You are probably correct saying "but I now feel it is electronical" (is
that a real word?)

Look at the speedometer sensor in the rear of your differential.
Probably a bad electrical connection, or failing that it could be the
sensor itself, or the sensor fins inside the diff.

It is usually the connection.

If all that fails then it could be the speedometer itself - but only the
"electronic" portion, since that is what is affecting your cruise - a
mechanic fault in the dial guage is not your problem.

Hope that helps.  I also think there is an FAQ on this somewhere, but
nobody seems to read those.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada