<ALL> BMW Alarms and The Homer Award

Hi,

Thought you all might appreciate this...

Announcing the Homer Award for *one* of the Most Anal BMW Owners.

Doh!

About a month ago I was washing the car. Normally I'll take the damp
drying cloth and wipe down the engine gutters and other painted areas.

Well I notice that one of the plastic screw clips holding the hood cover
was different. It was toward the front on the P/S. Must have been the
mechanic who checked my washer jet last time I was in for service. He
must have replaced the screw with and unofficial and unauthorized non
BMW screw. Well Mr. Anal (me) couldn't let this be, after all it was out
of place and most of all it did not MATCH.

So I get a screw clip and replace the offending screw. Alls fine.

Then a PFII after the autocross I park the car and I cannot arm the
alarm system. I notice that the hood switch is sliding down in the
carrier and that the hood is not depressing it enough to close the
circuit.

Brought it to the dealer today. Have you guessed what was wrong yet?
Well it took them 2 hours to figure out.

Now I am $34.93 wiser. And guess what? That offending screw (the same
one on my workbench) is BACK!

Turns out that screw is used to depress the hood switch!!! Doh!

Thankfully, they had pity on me and only charged me 1/2 hour of labor
($34) and 93 cents for the part rather than the entire 2 hours of labor!
 Stephen Lafredo - 3.2 M3             email: slafredo@domain.elided
 Philadelphia, PA
 DVC, NCC and NJC