Re: bmw-digest V9 #328

Dave,
As an owner of an '87 535is, I'd offer a very 'untechnical' criteria:
condition and maintenance are everything!  Also, I understand the '88 is
quite a bit more powerful, due to higher compression.  You're kind of
limited on the '87 is that respect.  But the 535is is a GREAT car!  One of
the reputable BMW publications made the statement that it was the best
all-around BMW ever.  I don't know about that, but it does offer a nice
happy medium between comfort and performance, without compromising in areas
of maintenance and reliability, issues you get into real fast with the
M-cars, I understand.  In any case, good luck!  You've made a good choice,
IMHO.

Regards,
Ken Mitchell
'87 535is