<e28> M20 Oil loss problem....

The other day made an unplanned trip. I filled the car up but did not check
the oil. (I know I should have.) Anyway the trip was a very quick one. Had the
cruise set at 90 most of the way? (I don't need comment on that one either.)
Well, after about 100 miles the engine oil level light came on. Not the
pressure light in the dash but the light in the check control unit above the
rearview mirror.  So I pull over expecting to have a hole in the oil pan or
some other failure. I had to add a little less than two quarts to bring it up
to level. I've always had a very slight leak from the head gasket on the
passenger side of the engine. So it looks like there is a head gasket
replacement in future plans.
	So, here's my question. The should I have the head worked on before I
reinstall it? Any good pointers for the job? Does this happen on a lot of the
cars? BTW the compression is very good. I have done a leak down test and there
seems to be to problem. This is an 86 528e with 220 K miles....

Thanks for everything...

Jason Albuquerque, NM
86 528e
86 535i