Cheap Heat/Temperature Shield for Cone Filter

If you have a cone filter on your E36, and are still saving for Milos'
carbon fiber heat shield, here's how to make one from underhood insulation
for a few dollars. Not only does it block the fan turbulence, I've found
the intake air to be consistently 40 degrees cooler than the air outside
the shield.  The shield actually has two parts - one that runs from the
radiator, back to the just behind the MAF connector plug.  It extends from
the frame, to the top of the radiator.  The second part attaches to the
first section and covers the top of the cone.  The right side of this
section is cut so it lays over the fender well. When the cover is closed,
the cone filter is entirely enclosed.  All intake air comes from the
outside. I'll be updating my web page, at http://www.he.net/~bikepro, in a
few days with instructions on how to make one.  In the meantime, if you're
interested, just send me a message and I'll tell you more about it. By the
way, my home page has links to hundreds of freeware and shareware products
- -- if you're looking for the instructions on how to make a clutch stop, go
to "Other BikePro Products" from the table of contents.

Clint