Re: Exhaust System Fasteners

>       The exhaust system nuts and bolts from BMW are
>carbon steel, the nuts generally with copper plating.  This is for heat
>resistance.  Removing these copper plated (if the were all copper, they
>would not be magnetic

In my recent experience these copper nuts are a real pain
to thread on the bolts. There is almost no space to get the
top bolts onto the triangular flanges on my 635 and I
finally gave up in disgust and used stainless stell nuts
which tuned on MUCH more easily by hand, I only had to use
sockets for the final tighten.

When taking the two year old original bolts off I found half
would unscrew and the other half had to be sawed off. BTW I
tried working the copper nuts up and down the bolts a few
times, didn't help.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!