FYI: Diesel engine oil, Shell Helix Ultra ?

Hello...

Several days ago I had a my first oil-change of my
new (Diesel) 325tds touring.
After that I found, that my BMW-workshop put in the
SHELL HELIX ULTRA OIL for gasoline engines and not
the SHELL HELIX ULTRA DIESEL for diesel engines.

Asking the the workshop if that is ok, they told me,
that this oil is officialy released by BMW also for
diesel engines. I mentioned also that this oil type is not
mentioned in the BMW manual for Diesel released oil types.

So I don=B4t believe them and I wrote a Email to SHELL and
BMW asking, if this statement of my BMW worksop is ok.

SHELL answer:

Principle it is correct, that diesel engines and gasoline
engines has different rquirements to the lubrication.
Diesel engines: requirements for more cleaning additives
for soot.
Gasoline engines: special requirements for heat and shearing
stability.
But, according SHELLs experience, that not always the correct
oil is used for the right motortype, they are forced to develope
both oils (SHELL HELIX ULTRA and SHELL HELIX ULTRA DIESEL) so,
that they can be used in both engine types without demaging it.

Nevertheless SHELL recommends for diesel engines the diesel-oil.

The BMW answer:

They confirmed the statemant of my BMW-workshop. SHELL HELIX ULTRA
is release for all BWM-engines.
I have to give them my chassis-ID-number. So, may be for other building
years and cars are other regulations for lubricants.

Interesting, isn=B4t it ?

Have a nice day..and drive carefully!

bye and greetings from Germany

Thomas