<E30> driveshaft

Fellow Bimwads,

My wife had been having a shudder at around 2500 rpm that turned into
somewhat of a growl last week.  I was hoping that it was just the
guibo/center bearing.  But when I got the driveshaft out the U-joints
were feeling quite notchy, not smooth like they should be.  So now I'm
looking for a new driveshaft.  I called the local salvage yard that
specializes in German cars and they sell driveshaft's for $150.  A new
one was around $650.

I'm a tad nervous about buying a used driveshaft.  I'm assuming I should
look for any broken weights and the smoothness of the U-joints.  What
else should I look for?  Should I have the driveshaft balanced before
putting it on?  How much would it cost to have it balanced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
- --David Boyd, boydd@domain.elided
'84 325e 200k, now the wife's car
'84 318i 165k, up on jack stands patiently waiting for new parts.
'85 Toyota Tercel Station Wagon, ATM lookalike.
They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee, ho ho.