<Misc>DUI? OK, now how about speeding?

John.  Another law enforcement issue...I drive by an automated radar/speed
display units regularly on my commute to work in the morning.  I notice that
it can provide erratic readings. For instance, I can be rolling by with the
cruise control set at 50, (speed limit 50 on this road) and the display will
momentarily flash 62, then reset and re-display 50.  I assume that the radar
unit is similar to hand held units used for actual enforcement.

Question: Are there usage procedures for radar units that account for these
erratic readings? Can a motorist do anything to verify the validity of the
reading taken?  There is a fair amount of "revenuing" in this area, and it'd
be good to know if numbers may have been fudged in the process.

Thanks,

Marc Plante
E36 325i, 109k
Alexandria, VA