Re: slow G-tech readings.

>     Well Franklin, while not totally accurate the G-Tech isn't bad for
>     what it is.  So lets take some guesses.

I agree, the G-tech is quite an accurate tool. The only reason they always
read a bit optomistic is due to the fact that any squat causes the G-tech
to tilt some on launch, inducing some extra 'false' g-forces.

>     1. The entered weight for one or both cars is not correct.

This can make a big difference, but only with the hp calculation mode. The
acceleration mode doesn't care how much the car weighs, so this couldn't be
it.

>     2. The G-Tech is not mounted level.

This can make some error, but if it is tilted too much, then it will read
'tilt' and not function.

>     3. Did you run both cars over the same stretch of road?  ie Did one
>     run slightly uphill/downhill compared to the other?  Or worse yet,
one
>     ran uphill and one downhill?  There are very few level roads.

This makes a BIG difference. Make sure you are doing your runs on FLAT and
STRAIGHT pavement.

>     4. Somebody was having a great/horrible launch?

This can be a huge part of bad times. For reference, my M3 when it was
stock ran a 5.4 second 0-60 and 14.0 1/4 mile without much effort at all
(those times probably equate to a 5.6 and 14.2 second quarter mile in
reality). For one, did you guys turn the traction control off? If you
didn't, that is your problem. If you didn't have traction control on, did
you spin alot? With my M3, if you spin the rears much at all, you lose
time. The best way I've found to launch my car (though hard on the clutch)
is to slip the clutch at 3500-4000 for just a wee bit to get the car
rolling, and the let out on it hard, and be prepared to shift immediately,
as you'll find the rev-limiter before you know it. Also, is the M3 an
automatic? That usually chops about a second off the 0-60 times. Also, a
cavalier should NOT do 6.5 0-60 times, even on an optomistic G-tech, unless
it is quite modified.

Brad Franklin

End of bmw-digest V9 #316