Orbital buffers?

Anyone have any experience with Orbital Buffers?
Are they considered harmful in any way to the
finish of the car?  I have one and I buy new
waxing/buffing pads each time I wax my car.
snip

_____________________

I used a fairly inexpensive low powered orbital buffer on a Cadillac
that I had for 11 years. I waxed it twice a year using Rain Dance,
now made by Borden.  This is a hard wax to buff off and the buffer
worked well:  No scratches or swirl marks, but I used very light
pressure and went through 3 to 4 pads each time.  The pads must be
clean!  Any grit on the pad will cause a wiggly scratch in the clear
coat.  The paint look new when I gave it to my Dad a few months ago.
This is not a result of the buffer or that particular wax (I have no
idea whats in the wax, but Borden makes no metion of carnuba), but
probably more a result of the car being in a garage when parked at
home and at work.  The point is the buffer made it easier to remove a
hard-to-emove wax and didn't hurt the clearcoat.  I still use the
same approach to my mini-van, although I wax my 328 by hand since its
quite a bit less surface area.