Cop on the Digest!

>From: John Fountaine <jfount@domain.elided>

>As a police officer in the Silicon Valley (yeah I know I just unzipped my
>fly for cop flames and the like)..

Hey John,

Here's a question I'd like to see answered by a cop.  I'm not sure I
understand all the ramifications of driving with a Rolling Rock or two
under my belt. Soooooo...can you take a moment and explain all this to me
and udders on the Digest?

We all know about the D.W.I. and blowing the BAC levels when you're
hammered via a Breathalizer and the like. What I don't understand is the
'gray' area of D.U.I. (I think its called), where you are under the limit -
but have had a couple of beers.  I assume you can get a D.U.I. ticket for
that or is this something that is generally not bothered with by most cops?

Let's say you're pulled over for a simple speeding offense, nothing
radical.  Cop asks "Have you been drinking?"  You've had.... say....3 or 4
beers over a 2 hour period.You know you are not drunk but don't what to lie
and you know that you *may* have a faint hint of beer aroma about you.
What's the right way to handle all this from your perspective?

Duane Collie
"always look for the angles" - words to live by