Re: SA-Rated Helmets

>From: Richard Perry <raperry.com@domain.elided>
>
>While I did not see the original post concerning SA-rated helmets, and I
>usually agree with what Duanne has to say (and find him to also be
>entertaining most of the time), I believe the statement about SA-rated
>helmets being built for multiple impacts is grossly inaccurate.  Try
>running that one past Simpson or Bell sometime and see what response you
>get.  In fact, they usually tell you to have an SA-rated helmet
>inspected if you drop it!

Hi Dick -

Actually, Duane is talking about multiple impacts during a single incident.
 For instance, say your Porsche decides it wants to see what being an
airplane is all about. As it's tumbling and cartwheeling down the road,
your noggin is being bounced off the dash, roll cage, door frame, etc.
SA-Rated helmets are built to withstand multiple impacts on these sorts of
objects. In fact, the only difference in the impact test between the Snell
SA-95 rating and the Snell M-95 (motorcycle) rating is the SA-95
certification adds three impacts against a "roll bar anvil".  (see
www.smf.org for more info...)

Now, once the incident is over, you should get your helmet inspected or
chuck it and buy a new one - you're absolutely right in that they're
basically built for one incident.

Hope this makes sense,

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided