BMW v Honda / Brake fluid

I have a '90 535i and a '90 Accord.  The Beemer has 150k miles, and is
tight (no rattles) and upsets my co-workers. Hope it runs forever. The
Accord has 70k miles, and tho the engine runs strong, the rattles/qual
control/materials are crummy. I paid exactly the same amount for the
used 535 as the new Honda. I doubt that the Bimmer will ever drop below
$10k, the Honda is worth maybe $6k now. Would I ever buy another
Honda ?? NO !! My son didnt even want it as a first car (for free)

The 535 is exactly 1 inch wider, 1 inch longer and 1 inch taller and
700 lbs heavier. Makes the Honda feel like a toy.   Oregon is a "port
of entry" for many Hondas, and we've got lots, but never again for me.
Instead I will just use the money for a newer 5 series.

BRAKE FLUID QUESTION.  I got a "brake fluid low" msg from the OBC today.
The manual says to use DOT4, only had DOT3 available to bring
it up to acceptable level.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ??