Re: bmw-digest V9 #286

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:44:52 -0500
> From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Track Safety
>
> Duane Collie wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > B).  Get a current SA-Rated Motorsports helmet and a neck
> > collar regardless of what you are driving. SA rated helmets are designed for
> > multiple impacts and have a fire retardant liner in them....motorcyle
> > (M-rated) helmets don't and are designed for one Big Impact.  Neck collars
> > prevent neck injuries from the helmet whipping when you crash.  I had one on
> > three days ago when we went sideways in to the trees....my helmet was
> > scarred - my ribs are tender - but my neck is fine even though my helmet
> > whipped into the C-pillar from the impact.
>
> I agree.  I see very few people wearing collars -- and yet the neck is so weak
> and so critical to healthy living.  As much as the helmet protects the head, it
> actually endangers the neck -- unless you have a collar.  And collars are dirt
> cheap, trivial to put on, and virtually unnoticable while wearing a helmet.
> I can see no excuse.

While I did not see the original post concerning SA-rated helmets, and I
usually agree with what Duanne has to say (and find him to also be
entertaining most of the time), I believe the statement about SA-rated
helmets being built for multiple impacts is grossly inaccurate.  Try
running that one past Simpson or Bell sometime and see what response you
get.  In fact, they usually tell you to have an SA-rated helmet
inspected if you drop it!

As for the neck collar - the comments couldn't be more right on.

Dick
- --
Richard A. Perry
BMW CCA #145032